A bunion is a prominance or bony malalignment of the first and/or fifth toe joints.
If this prominance occurs at the base of the first toe it is called a "Hallux Abducto Valgus" deformity or Hallux Valgus. This is where the first toe is angulated away from the midline of the body toward the smaller toes.
One which forms around the base of the fifth toe is commonly called a "Tailors bunion" .
The cause of bunions arises from the inability of the first or fifth toe joints to function as they normally should. This incorrect foot function may be the result of:
Treatment involves a combined approach of many factors including:
1. Strengthening exercises of specific foot muscles.
2. Stretching of specific muscles, sometimes with the aid of a bunion splint is also helpful.
3. Footwear analysis is very important.
4. Joint mobilization may be utilized in some situations.
5. Orthoses are used to assist in realigning the feet into a better functioning position and help to prevent the excessive abnormal movement through the feet.
6. Bunion surgery may be advised if conservative treatment fails to provide satisfactory treatment results. Surgery can be beneficial when conservative measures fail to provide sufficient relief, however there are risks involved. Surgical options should be discussed with your Podiatrist following thorough examination.
WARNING : This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace professional podiatric advice. Treatment will vary between individuals depending upon your diagnosis and presenting complaint. An accurate diagnosis can only be made following personal consultation with a Podiatrist, your Doctor or your foot specialist.
For further information on "bunion treatment" visit...
More bunion and foot pain information
Still unsure about your problem? Visit our Foot Problems page and ask us a question about your specific problem. We'll do our best to help.
Nov 19, 18 10:40 PM
Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy (ESWT) and radial shock wave therapy are treatment modalities used for chronic cases of plantar fasciitis, heel pain or heel spur syndrome.
Nov 19, 18 10:22 PM
Where to find a Podiatrist, Chiropodist or foot doctor. An international directory of foot care specialists providing advice on foot pain and leg complaints.
Nov 16, 18 05:18 PM
A bunion information resource including the causes of hallux valgus, a discussion of current bunion treatment options along with some of the pros and cons of various treatments..