A bunion is a prominance or bony malalignment of the first and/or fifth toe joints.
If this prominance occurs at the base of the first toe it is called a "Hallux Abducto Valgus" deformity or Hallux Valgus. This is where the first toe is angulated away from the midline of the body toward the smaller toes.
One which forms around the base of the fifth toe is commonly called a "Tailors bunion" .
The cause of bunions arises from the inability of the first or fifth toe joints to function as they normally should. This incorrect foot function may be the result of:
Treatment involves a combined approach of many factors including:
1. Strengthening exercises of specific foot muscles.
2. Stretching of specific muscles, sometimes with the aid of a bunion splint is also helpful.
3. Footwear analysis is very important.
4. Joint mobilization may be utilized in some situations.
5. Foot orthotics are used to assist in realigning the feet into a better functioning position and help to prevent the excessive abnormal movement through the feet.
6. Bunion surgery may be advised if conservative treatment fails to provide satisfactory treatment results. Surgery can be beneficial when conservative measures fail to provide sufficient relief, however there are risks involved. Surgical options should be discussed with your Podiatrist following thorough examination.
WARNING : This information is for educational purposes only and is not intended to replace professional podiatric advice. Treatment will vary between individuals depending upon your diagnosis and presenting complaint. An accurate diagnosis can only be made following personal consultation with a Podiatrist, your Doctor or your foot specialist.
For further information on "bunion treatment" visit...
More bunion and foot pain information
Still unsure about your problem? Visit our Foot Problems page and ask us a question about your specific problem. We'll do our best to help.
Jul 15, 21 10:42 PM
Plantar fasciitis treatment... a guide to the treatment of plantar fasciitis and associated heel pain and heel spur syndrome.
Jul 15, 21 10:17 PM
Kids shoes... Some shoe fitting tips for parents and carers. A podiatrist's perspective on what shoe features to consider when purchasing your child shoes.
Aug 04, 20 03:31 AM
Corns... Find out the truth about what causes corns and discover current treatment options available for management and prevention of recurrence.